Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Germany Day 9

Sept. 18, 2011. This morning we all left our host families to drive to Villingen. The Kuglers and the Haspels and I shared our last breakfast together. :-( Birgit claims we are sisters; it was a misty, moisty morning and she said the world was sad that I had to leave. I think she may be right! We all hugged and waved and hugged some more as we loaded luggage and climbed into the vans for our next adventure. I know we will see each other again someday - whether in Germany or the US I can't predict - and we will share more good times together.

The route we followed to Villingen was not the most direct route; there were some sights we would have missed by taking the Autobahn so we drove a much more circuitous route through the Black Forest. My plans to catch up on some much-needed sleep were foiled by the twisting switchback roads - there is simply no way to fall asleep when you are being tossed back and forth like a rag doll! The benefit of the detour, however, was the magnificent scenery we were treated to. Stately pines covered the mountainsides; bright green ferns blanketed their feet and swirling fogs hugged their branches. Quaint farmsteads and villages dotted the valleys with spots of bright colors on this dreary day.

Our first stop was Freudenstadt where we intended to visit a unique church shaped like an L. Men and women attended services in the opposite sections in times past; the pulpit was at the intersection of the two wings. It was Sunday, however, and touring the church was not allowed when Mass was in session. Plan B: eat something! Everyone went to a bakery and most ordered sweet pastries and coffee. I don't know how anyone could eat so soon after breakfast - I certainly couldn't! Our drive continued through forest that reminded me of the Colorado Rockies, although not nearly as tall and rocky. Crystal clear streams rushed through the valleys, bounding over the rocks in their paths. We passed through some looooooooooong tunnels and my ears popped many times. I enjoyed seeing cattle, sheep and goats around the tiny farmyards and grazing on the hillsides and in the valleys. Some of the cows had alpine bells around their necks like you see in the movies. It was quite picturesque!

Shortly after noon we arrived at an open air museum in the valley of the Gutach River. Historical buildings from various regions of the Black Forest were disassembled and reassembled here on the Vogtsbauernhof farmstead to paint a picture of the work, lifestyles and traditions of former times. Farmhouses, barns and outbuildings dating from 1599 to 1870 were filled with furnishings, tools and personal items; gardens and livestock made this a living museum as well. I quickly decided I wasn't wasting time on lunch since there was so much to see! The homes with livestock on the bottom floors and the living quarters above fascinated me - it seemed like a really practical solution and I could totally picture myself living like that back in those days. I want one of those green tile wood burning stoves. I laughed over the jeweled wedding crowns, gaudy monstrosities embellished with beads, baubles, ribbons, mirrors like a jewelry tree gone awry. (Ok fine, a jewelry tree is a Christmas decoration gone awry but I love them anyway!) And the red bobbled hats for unmarried women were so cute I had to buy one! I wore it the rest of day, prompting odd looks, chuckles and unrestrained laughter. Just think of the looks I will get back in the States where they are not part of the native folk costume!

The two allotted hours passed far too quickly, and I missed some of the outbuildings, including the Bahofen (witch oven) darn it! I had packed a lunch at the Kugler's this morning and ate my sandwich, carrots and cake once we got back in the van. (Thanks, Bernhard and Birgit!) Next stop: Villingen. We cruised around awhile to look at Jens and Judy's favorite places from the days they lived in this city. After checking into our hotel, we walked around the city to find a place to eat dinner. Not much was open, so Deb and I and the Miller's ate Italian food. Back at the hotel, the Internet wasn't working so Courtney, Deb and I went in search of an Internet cafe. Wrong turns, bad directions and unmarked street made it a challenge, but we finally located one in a rather sketchy part of town (yes, I know!) and were able to let everyone at home know we had arrived. Safely enconsed in our cosy hotel room, The past three days are catching up with me now and I must sleep. Guten abend!

No comments:

Post a Comment