Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Travel...it's always an adventure!


I’ve never been to Texas. But I’m here now- at the Dallas Fort Worth airport to be exact. Not exactly seeing the sights, but having an adventure just the same. If I were a gazillionaire, I could get afford a flight without an overnight layover. But I’m not, so I couldn’t. And the thought of paying for a hotel room for a few hours just didn’t work for me, so here I am in an airport lounge preparing to do a sleepover.

It doesn’t look like it’s going to be too bad, really. The chairs are comfy, the lights are dim, I have a blankie and pillow and warm socks. I’m sharing the lounge with a nice lady named Renee who works for the airlines and has been flying standby but hasn’t made it home yet.  She’s stuck here until morning too, and we’ve been sharing stories of travel and kids and life.

Did you know there are websites dedicated to sleeping in airports? Seriously. With lists of the best and worst airports for overnight stays, and tips and reviews and true stories. Check out www.sleepinginairports.net. Apparently I’m not the only cheap ass out there.

Hey, more company! We’ve now gained 2 army guys and a Marine. Some girls dropped their packs too but I don’t know where they wandered off to. There’s a stack of cots from the USO, and the Marine offered me his. It’s shaping up to be a party! Or would be if someone could get his game connected to the TV…then it would be Just Dance in this lounge! No luck – the USB port is behind the TV and short of taking it down off the wall there’s no way to connect. But wait...they’re not giving up yet! The Marine has turned his phone into a remote and is in control of the TV now. Here come the wheelchairs! Wheelchair races in the hall? Maybe!

That bitch on the intercom needs to shut up. Her announcement is getting on my last nerve! The earplugs will be coming out soon. By the time my flight leaves in the morning I will have heard her grating voice about 100 times. Oh joy there she goes again!

What goes on in the airport at night? So far they have installed a new TV and vacuumed. Exciting, right? Hey, in 20 minutes it will be tomorrow and then I will be in Jamaica today! Goodnight Texas!

1 comment:

  1. Huh! I've only done that once, in Philly, where they close domestic airport at midnight. Ended up curled up in the curve of a carpeted sculpture with all my bags tucked under me..good times! Never heard about that website though..

    ReplyDelete