Pages

Friday, March 27, 2015

One Love

The last day of vacation always comes too quickly. Our last morning at the castle was to be very short; airport transportation was due at 9:00. Even though last night was a late one, everyone was up early, wandering around the grounds and taking last-minute photos. I had never officially checked in, since I had arrived after hours. I took care of that task, finally meeting the charming manager Petrona. The sun was shining, the sea was calm, and it looked like it was going to be another glorious day. But...it was time to leave.

Mark joked about how quiet everyone was on the 1-1/2 hour ride to Negril. Riding on the ocean side of the van, I tried to look at every little thing, hoping the images would stay with me forever. At the airport, we initially went our seperate ways to check in. After the lines at security, we were able to spend a little more time together, eating lunch, shopping, and just visiting.

Hugs all around, and off we went to resume our old lives. Our luggage was a little heavier, and our wallets a little lighter; though poorer in dollars, we were immeasurably richer for having spent this time together. 'One Love' - Jamiaca's motto - describes the reason we all came to Blue Cave Castle. Our love for our dear friends, Ralph and Mel, brought us there. Though they could not join us after all, they were certainly there in spirit. We spoke of them at each experience, each new adventure. The trip was dedicated to them, and many toasts were drunk in their honor.

The in-flight announcement welcoming us back to the United States made me smile. Although I love to see the world, I am proud to be an American. Even with all our flaws and problems, this is a great country! The new computerized customs forms at Dallas Fort Worth are a dream come true compared to the long lines in Jamaica. I sped through customs with no wait at all. Next stop - Quad Cities International Airport! Moline has a great little airport; every time I fly in or out I appreciate it all over again, especially that it's only 5 minutes from my house. I texted Dawn when the plane was taxiing and by the time I picked up my bags she was at the curb. The short ride gave us a few minutes to catch up. Back at home, there was a flurry of activity as I dumped my bags, repacked another one, loaded the car, and packed a lunch for work. 5 1/2 hours and a very short night's sleep later, I drove out of the parking lot at CharNor headed for Transworld in St. Louis. Crazy? Maybe a little!

In his song, "One Love," Bob Marley urged, "Let's get together and feel all right!" Rucker and Sharon, Marshall and Rose Anna, Mark and Chrissy, and I did! One love brought all of us together for a fabulous adventure in a castle by the sea. This one's for you, Ralph and Mel!

1 comment: